Sunday, July 15, 2018

Brakes and Wiring and Stuff

More progress since our last episode...

I have:

  • Installed all brake lines, master cylinder and blanking plate
  • Installed the wiper motor (it was easy)
  • Fitted the steering column (but will have to adjust)
  • Did a quick front end alignment
  • Run wiring to the voltage regulator, starter solenoid, turn indicator flasher, wiper motor, and headlight switch
  • Installed a new seal and test fitted the heater box (it's not bolted down)
  • Test fitted the heater fan (you can't see it)
  • Installed the inner door lock mechanism
Installing the front driver's brake line was a bear.  The line I had wouldn't fit no matter what I did; it was too short.  I ended up removing the steering rack and running a longer line (for which I used my flaring tool--needed it once in 20 years, and it was worth having it).  But everything fits properly now.

I found out that the clutch line I had was too rusted to reuse, so I have a new one on order.  Once I fit it and the slave cylinder, I'll fill the brake system and bleed the brakes.  (The clutch, bring hydraulic, shares the same reservoir as the brakes.)

I like being able to roll the car around and use the wheel to steer.  It's so novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and published upon review.