Sunday, July 22, 2018

Fully Regulated

Some more fun this weekend... Here's what I did.

  1. Installed the door handles and locks.  I have functioning door locks for the first time in 30 years.
  2. Installed the license plate plinth.
  3. Installed the starter solenoid in its bracket.
  4. Found, fixed, cleaned and installed the trunk latch and handle.
  5. Made a flare for the clutch line, and installed the line.
  6. Installed the heater core and heater fan.
  7. Installed the battery.  (I bought a battery!)  I did a brief test of the wiring; no smoke came out.
  8. Installed the accelerator linkage, but not the pedal (because I can't find the bolts for it).
  9. Installed the window regulators.
  10. Installed the driver's side window glass and vent window.
By the way, installing the windows is a real pain in the ass.  I found an installation guide online from someone that's done this before, and they were right on.  It's on the MG Experience at  (Thanks, Norm!)  This is the only way to assemble the doors, and oh my God what a chore.  I don't know how they did it at the factory; I am beginning to believe they never actually assembled these.  I still have to install the inner felt strip, but to do that I need a special tool.  I'm going to try to find one locally so I don't have to spend the $$$ on shipping from Moss or VB.  

I will say that the window goes up and down easily and the window regulator works great, having had 50 years of crap cleaned off of it and been re-greased.

Here's the end result of the weekend:


The engine bay is essentially complete, aside from the hood pull, the wiper bottle, and (of course) the engine.

Next time, I hope to be talking about installing the drivetrain.  I need a break from windows.  More accurately, my fingers need a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and published upon review.